Monday, May 5, 2008

Metal-smithing Pictures

In spite of numerous set-backs, I actually got my final enamel piece done ahead of schedule. Most of the rest of class was still in the fabrication stage when I packed up, wiped down my bench and left early Thursday afternoon.

By numerous setbacks I mean I totally ruined the piece and had to start over again.

Twice. On the third attempt I nearly ruined it again but turned the mistake (melting all my silver cloisonns down) into a plus.

A quick review of my posts reveals that I only provided a teaser picture of my last enamel piece, and none of my goblet. So in order of completion...

Baba Yagga's Goblet. Raised copper bowl, forged brass legs and toes. (Don't ever try and forge brass... just don't)


Half-life Pendant. Copper tube and enamel on copper.

Catey's Mandolin. Cloisonné on copper, sterling silver hardware, pure silver back and pick.

For the record, I made the pure silver sheet and sterling wire used in this assignment. I'd also like to point out that the last time I had to buy silver it was $7 an ounce and now it is $17.50 an ounce.

1 comment: