Friday, January 11, 2008

On missied oppourtunities and movie reviews.

I don't intend to post to this blog salacious details of my love life (or lack thereof) but it occurs to me that occasionally being an egghead/geek/nerd is more of curse then people may realize.

Case to point. There is a fabulous little grocery store like a mini-Sagaya less then a block from my house. Last night I walked down to get dinner fixings and an attractive young lady held open the door for me. She smiled shyly at me and I smiled back walked in and began my shopping.

As I shopped my mind disassembled her outfit. Maroon pantaloons or perhaps belly dancer pants were tucked into knee high riding boots, a tight black velvet vest controlled a flowing black poets shirt, all of which was captured by... frankly a frock coat. It was a fascinating blend of English country, Edwardian, and maybe a touch of the steam-punk.

As luck would have it, I ended up in line behind her, and as she made small talk with the clerk ringing her up she kept glancing over her shoulder at me. Since I didn't want to alarm her or come across as a some cretin undressing her I studiously examined the large gourmet chocolate display.

Somehow she got delayed and ended up holding the door for me again, this time with my hands full.

I risked eye contact, smiled and thanked her.

She had dimples.

I watched out of the corner of my eye as she got in her truck as I began to trudge back to my apartment... wondering all the while whether if she was theater geek, gamer, a classical horse rider, or something else.

I was half way home when my brain translated those eye glances in the store not as alarm... but as interest.

She was flirting with me.

She was not in the parking lot when I got back.

I don't know what I would have said had she been there...
~~~~

One movie I missed in the theater and didn't get a lot of press was Danny Boyle's Sunshine. Mr. Boyle is the director behind one of my favorite zombie/apocolypse/sci-fi films 28 Days Later. I had heard nothing but praise for Sunshine and eagerly awaited seeing it.

It was worth the wait. I was literally shaking with emotion after watching it, and would have no difficulty naming it the best movie I have seen in a year.

Things that I had problems with in the middle of the film became "Eureka!" moments later on.

As one other blogger put it the fact that Even Almighty is nominated for a Special Effects Oscar and not Sunshine is criminal.

I don't want to say to much about it because if you choose to see it I want it to unfold for you with no preconceptions except that I thought it was terrific.

1 comment:

  1. The good news is: if there's only one mini-Sagaya around, you're both bound to wind up there again. And next time you can ask her opinion on produce or complement her frock coat, and start a conversation.

    ReplyDelete